Monday, January 27, 2014

SILA Illustration 52 Gold!

Grasshopper Hunter- 13" x 19" digital and graphite- by Greg Newbold.

I am pleased and honored to announce that my painting "Grasshopper Hunter" has been awarded a Gold Medal from the Society of Illustrators Los Angeles. It will hang in the Illustrators 52 show to be held from March 7-30 at the Center Stage Gallery in Burbank, California as well as on the SILA website. The piece was created for Boys' Life Magazine and continues to be the most awarded piece I have done to date after being accepted into the Society of Illustrators, Spectrum and 3x3 illustration annuals. This award is the first Gold Medal of my career prompting my wife to ask what it feels like to be a twenty year overnight success. Well, honestly, it feels pretty good. Thank you to
the esteemed jurors who I am sure had some pretty tough choices based on the number of extremely talented artists I know whose work was not accepted. Having been on the other side of the equation, all too often it seems, I feel for you my friends. A big thank you to Alyce Heath and everyone at SILA, I am very grateful for this honor.

11 comments:

Susan said...

Congratulations! It is truly a beautiful painting.

Lark said...

Congrats!! You totally deserve it. That painting is awesome.

Bill Perkins said...

Congratulations Greg, you deserved it! Great work.

Jay Montgomery said...

Great work as always Greg. Congrats!

Unknown said...

Woah! SO COOL! It's awesome to see someone talented as you are finally get this kind of recognition. A big deal, indeed!
Congratulations Greg!

Unknown said...

Thank you Suzy, Lark, Bill, Jay and Klaus. I appreciate the kind words. It feels good to finally win one.

Unknown said...

Congratulations! Beautiful piece.

Dr. Genevieve Ford said...

Congrats on the award. I adore the color scheme and the detail on the grasshopper, and wow, the waves in that grass contrast brilliantly with the background. I was curious to know what sort of research you did into the dress of the American Indian man pictured. Which tribe is represented? Or is it more of a Boy Scout fantasy, playing Indian-type of image? I'm interested in the process you went through to develop the painting.

Unknown said...

Dr. Ford, I am glad you enjoy the piece. As an artist, I try to find the right balance between reality and entertainment. I am not a historical painter or "button counter" as you sometimes find among certain artists and historians who insist on being 100% accurate in their depictions. The picture accompanied a historical fiction piece that told the story of how Crazy Horse became an expert marksman by shooting grasshoppers out of mid air with his bow. Knowing this, I tried to find sources for my costumes that were of the period and in this case, the correct tribe. I admit that sometimes I go for "close enough" since I am telling a story and setting a mood more than I am recreating history. Sometimes the costume items are adapted or are not quite from the right decade or area, but look good in the context of the piece I am trying to create. I don't obsess about total accuracy if it conveys the drama and feeling I am going for.

Unknown said...

That's awesome. Congratulations!

Unknown said...

Thanks Manelle