Tuesday, December 30, 2014

Christmas Surprise


I got an unexpected surprise a few days before Christmas. This lovely watercolor study by Arnold Friberg (unsigned, but most certainly by his hand) showed up in the mail from a friend. He had picked it up as a part of an auction lot that included three other Friberg studies. It's  a small (about 7"x7") but nicely detailed pencil and watercolor on paper. If you are unfamiliar with Friberg's work, have a look at this previous tribute that I posted at around the time of his passing in 2010.

This is the full lot of Friberg studies
The lot included other studies for possible Canadian Mountie works done for the Potlatch Paper company, likely in the 1950's. Friberg created dozens of full scale paintings on the Mountie theme from the mid 1940's to the mid 1960's. A quick web search turned up the final version for one of these studies complete with Friberg signature in the lower left.

Finished Friberg painting for the Potlatch paper company
As a lifetime admirer of Friberg's work, I was dumbfounded by the generosity of my friend, but he assured me that there was nobody he would rather see enjoy the piece. He knew I would love and care take this gem.

the back has some tape residue that needs attention.

As you can see, there are a few condition problems including slight paper loss tot the corner and some tape and tape residue on the back that I want to address. I am in the process of getting feedback on how best to proceed there. Then will come proper conservation, framing and finding the right spot to showcase it in my home or studio. It has become the highlight of my small but growing collection since it is the first I have acquired by a non-living artist. I could not be more pleased.

5 comments:

Maria Mercer Adams said...

That is all kinds of awesome! I remember studying Friburg in Bethanne's history of illustration, and I am pretty sure both you and Bob brought him up. Congrats! It's always a treasure to gain actual artwork from the people we admire. You have a great friend! I'd love to see a photo when you get it framed and take care of.

Lael Henderson said...

wow!! that's a real friend! I hope that brings you and your family years of enjoyment. A real treasure!

Elise's Art Garden said...

Lucky!! I have loved his work since receiving my own copy of the Book of Mormon at age 8! What a kind and generous friend!

Mike Blake Studio said...

That is spectacular!!!! So amazing! I love Arnold's work.

I'd love to see what you do to conserve and properly frame it. I have a few pieces of art that I have received from other artists that I'd like properly preseved.

Unknown said...

Thanks Guys! Depending on how much it costs me to do the conservation, this could take a while to pull off. I will definitely post a follow-up when I get it all spruced up and framed though. It's very cool to own an original, even a small one, from one of your artistic idols.