Friday, February 18, 2011

Layer Cake

The "Worst" Cake Ever - digital

This piece is for a magazine story in which the dad teaches the importance of following instructions and how some rules in life (as well as art making) never become obsolete, such as like look both ways before crossing the street. The object lesson was to make a cake without a recipe. Everything went OK until the dad decides to add Worcestershire sauce at the end. I am sure that additional ingredient would add a layer of flavor nobody would enjoy. Of course all ends well when out came the cake that had been previously baked. This lesson reminds me of how important it is to learn and use the basic rules of good picture making as we create our art. Just like a trained chef, if we know the rules, we can mix and match and come up with art making recipes that are new and tasty. This one continues my explorations into Photoshop as a painting medium.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your work makes me smile! Thanks!

k.h.whitaker said...

nice, great expressions

Katie Bevan said...

I really like this piece, especially the meaning behind it. I agree with what you said about art making is like making a cake. It makes me want to study the rules of art some more, however I think I will be studying and learning forever.

Cindy Paul said...

You really have a gift. I checked out some of your work and am captivated by your style. Keep up the nice work.

MrBibleHead said...

Excellent Greg! Great work for a great story! The expressions are perfect... Sounds like something I would do... Worchestshire sauce mmmmm :o)

psychopooch said...

Haha. LOVE the expression of the kids faces!