Friday, February 8, 2013

Wendell Berry Painting Progress


Wendell Berry- On His Farm- 18" x 30" oil, by Greg Newbold
I am almost finished now with the Wendell Berry painting for which I showed the sketch a couple of weeks back. The wide shot is a little cropped, so there is actually a bit more on each side. It felt like a bit of a challenge creating a younger portrait of someone I have never met.
Face detail
The fact that Wendell is still living and will undoubtedly see the painting, made it a bit intimidating as well. I hope I did him justice. I think I captured his sturdy, no nonsense but good natured personality. Just a but more and I'll be ready to call this one done.

10 comments:

Tami Traylor said...

Beautiful piece, Greg. I love your style! The background reminds me of somewhere very dear to my heart in the foothills of the Appalachians, farm, house, rolling hills and all.

Unknown said...

Sweet- thanks Tami! The Berry farm is somewhere in Kentucky, so I am glad it captures that area. Having never been there, I had to be inspired by a lot of pictures.

Susan said...

I don't know Wendell, but I imagine that he will be very pleased when he sees this. It's beautiful! I like your style.

Unknown said...

Thanks Suzy! Wendell is a great poet as evidenced by the poem in the previous post. I may get to meet him too if this thing goes over like I hope.

Brad Teare said...

Congratulations on an excellent painting! I love Berry's writing and your work is the perfect compliment.

Unknown said...

Thanks Brad!

DWHY said...

Looking great bud!!

Unknown said...

Good to talk with you earlier Dan- thanks for looking!

Unknown said...

How can I buy this print?

Unknown said...

Dianne,
I do have a print of this painting available. Please contact me through my website www.gregnewbold.com or find me on Facebook at Greg Newbold Art and I will give you the details.