Thursday, March 20, 2014

3 Dutch Girls

3 Dutch Girls- 8" x 8"; Oil by Greg Newbold
In 2009, I drove cross country with a friend to my final summer session of graduate work. On our way to Hartford Connecticut, we made a few fly by stops, including Lancaster, Pennsylvania. This is the heart of Pennsylvania Dutch country and it was interesting to see some of the Amish farms and get a glimpse of the horse drawn buggies that populate the roads there. I also took a pit stop to photograph these cows on a local dairy farm. The painting's name, 3 Dutch Girls,  comes from the location and not the breed, but I liked the ring of it. I painted this one in oil on MDF panel- over the top of another failed plein air attempt. I sanded off the most obnoxious texture, but some of it telegraphs through the paint and adds to the final look of this new painting. You can get this one at Meyer Gallery in Park City, UT.

No comments: