Wednesday, July 9, 2014

Jimenez Logo Redux

A couple of years back I did an illustration for a brand logo that was being revived. The brand had been used commercially for years, but had gone under during a corporate transition and fallen out of use. The new logo was to be a modernization of what I thought was a rather crude and dated look.


I did the illustration and it turned out very well. I thought I had captured beautifully the personality and essence of the company founder who was the face of the brand. The fully rendered version I completed consequently got mired in a conflict over the likeness of the company founder. In the end after more than a year of wrangling with the family foundation it was decided that the safest thing to do would be to go back to the logo version that was wholly owned by the brand and create a closely updated version from that.


Working closely with friend and fantastically talented illustrator designer Val Paul Taylor. I did a new, very graphic version of  the figure. Val then created an updated version of the typographic treatment  that brings the brand into the 21st century while paying appropriate homage to the 1980's version. The client was very satisfied with the outcome and they plan to relaunch the brand this year. I rarely get the chance to do something this graphic outside of a few t-shirt designs for my son's swim teams, so this was a fun change of pace that I hope to do more of in the future.

No comments: