Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Grasshopper Hunter 2

The Challenge- 10" x 8"- digital

This one is finally finished. One more on this project for Boys' Life magazine and then I'll send it out, but I thought I'd post this one. I am continuing to get more comfortable with the digital tools as I go. Still a lot to learn and the time frame is not yet down to the speed that I expect, but I think I am getting there. Here again I scanned in my finished drawing and painted over the top. Some of my friends work straight onto the computer with no preliminary drawing, but I am not there yet. It still doesn't feel natural to just push pixels around on the screen instead of respond to all the tactile stimuli you get with real paint, but it's not as stiff as it used to be. Slow but steady I guess

5 comments:

Rob Colvin said...

Very nice!!

Kimberly Dwinell said...

Great piece! I love the tactile paint thing too... a lot of my friends have gone digital, but I can't get used to it. As a BSA scout mom, I love your subject matter.

Coreopsis said...

I really like the tactileness of the real paint too. But this seems like a good compromise. Great illustration!

Lael Henderson said...

I like this one a lot! I love to see people mimic their real paint style with digital media. You'll get faster real quick, and then there is no turning back, be careful!

Unknown said...

Well, the goal is to make it look like my paint. That has always been my hangup with digital, but I can see how it makes sense to go digital if you can get the same result (or even better) with digital tools. Especially for illustration purposes. I have no intention of quitting painting though, so no worries.