Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Picture Book Marathon

Picture Book Marathon logo designed by Nathan Hale

Starting February 1st, I am going to run a marathon. OK, not really one of those huff and puff perspiration soaked masochistic torture sessions where you kill yourself to perambulate 26.2 miles and then collapse in a sweaty heap type races. This one might actually be possible if you work at it every day. I signed on to run the Picture Book Marathon. Jean Reagan and Lara Koehler have set up a handy dandy website with all sorts of tips and hints at www.picturebookmarathon.org with all the info you need to join in. By reason of me telling you all, I am now accountable to try and finish the thing. The goal is to write a rough draft for a picture book 26 times in the month of February (you get a couple days off). I figured since I am always talking about writing and illustrating my own stories, I needed a kick in the pants to actually write some. Well, so far so good. I cheated and jumped the gun by writing my first one already. I have also begun to compile a list of possible story ideas to make the work a little easier. I am hoping that the simple act of deciding to write will help get the creative juices going. Join in- it'll be fun and you might find that you have a real winner on your hands by the end of February.

3 comments:

Will Strong said...

Awesome. I'm in for the Picture Book Marathon this year too. I'm going to try and do a simple cover sketch with a one line plot summary every day.

Anonymous said...

Greg and Will, you're an inspiration! I'll be cheering from the sidelines and waiting at the finish line with congratulations all around!

Keep us posted on your progress and good luck!
R

Unknown said...

Thanks Ron- Hope to make it, even if the are REALLY rough. It's better than what I have right now, which is a handful of partly finished stories. I think the volume aspect of it will be the best part.