Saturday, August 27, 2011

Landscape Workshop Last Hurrah

Heber Valley Vista- 6" x 8" Oil by Greg Newbold

As I mentioned in my previous landscape workshop post, I left the workshop just a bit early to try to find one last location that interested me. I could have stayed and had another go at Deer Creek and the surrounding vistas, but I was itching for something with more trees. I drove home through Midway, Utah and stopped at this spot overlooking the Heber Valley.


I had just over an hour to bang out this little 6" x 8" study. Of all the pieces I painted at the workshop, this one may be my favorite. It seemed to come together quickly (I didn't exactly have a choice since I had a commitment at home that I need to attend), but Things seemed to fall in place and the paint was flowing. I think it has the feel of a larger painting, so I think this one may make it's way onto a bigger panel someday.

8 comments:

zillustration said...

gorgeous piece. i need to crack open the french easel and get outside!

jeffdinardo said...

This is my favorite scene so far.

Mike Blake Studio said...

What would you say the core ABSOLUTELY necessary colors are when painting outside?

I have a hard time getting vibrant natural colors...
thanks.

Unknown said...

Blake, I think that's a good question. I'll do post on that subject rather than get long winded here.

Unknown said...

I meant Mike

Mike Blake Studio said...

Wonderful! I shall look forward to it!

Will Terry said...

Wow - nice composition and color - I'll bet if you started showing these this one would go quickly.

Unknown said...

Thanks Will- that's the plan. I need a few more in order to have enough for a show though. In the meantime, I keep painting.