Tuesday, August 23, 2011

More Painting with Bill Perkins

Three Bales- 8" x 8", Oil by Greg Newbold

Later in the afternoon, following a delicious lunch at Station 22 in downtown Provo, we got back to painting. I have long been attracted to farm scenes and couldn't resits trying my hand at the large hay bales we found dotting a nearby field.

We found these bales just to the east of where I painted in the morning session

I decided on a small 8" x 8" panel for this painting. It was a challenge to capture the solidity of the bales and also inject interesting color into the shadows.

In progress, in the shade. The color shift in direct light is always interesting.

I like the overall design but I am not sure if I quite captured the color I wanted. I only had about an hour and a half to paint this one, so I was concentrated on big shapes and trying to get color notes down. I will have to reevaluate it in studio and see if I can "pull it out of the weeds" so to speak. I definitely see things I will want to adjust. 

6 comments:

Ramires said...

Great atmosphere.

Mike Blake Studio said...

Love the colors in this one. Very vibrant!

I find it amusing how few trees there are in Utah...you spend more time looking to find one to paint, while here in the midwest you spend more time looking for a clearing in the trees to paint something else. haha

Unknown said...

Yea, once you leave the mountains or get away from rivers, all the trees around these parts have been planted in the last 100 years or so. Growing up here, I guess that's why I am attracted to fields and farms.

Dave McClellan said...

I still don't know what color that shadow really was. I remember Bill mentioning how you get less saturation as you look toward the sun, and maybe that's why I couldn't determine a color--just too desaturated.

I really like how the square composition turned out.

Unknown said...

Dave,
I struggled with that as well. I think the values worked pretty well though. It was a fun day painting.

Madeline K. Rupard said...

Plein air painting is so refreshing, and I like how these bales acted as a perfect study of light and shadow. Nature tends to do that!