Friday, August 19, 2011

Influenced by the Best

"Thunderbird" -Sunset magazine "cover"
Oil on canvas, 18" x 24" by Greg Newbold

Whether we want to admit it or not. All artists are influenced by what they see. Whether it's our surroundings, the things we like, photography or the work of other artists, we seek out and internalize the visual material that resonates emotionally within us. During my MFA journey at the University of Hartford, we were given the assignment to create a magazine cover in the style of a Golden Age Illustrator. I of course immediately wanted to pay tribute to one of my favorites, N.C. Wyeth.

The 1914 Dixon cover that inspired me

While researching possible magazines in which to insert my painting, I thought o the several magazine covers created by another of my favorite painters, Maynard Dixon. I figured why not pay homage to both artists at once. I found a grainy photo of Maynard Dixon that gave me enough information to start from and with the addition of a palette and brush, I created a heroic view of Dixon painting in a landscape much like the ones he loved to paint.

Giant in the Clouds- by N.C. Wyeth

I tried to create the scene with the design, color and brushwork  sensibilities of Wyeth, especially the clouds and the way that the figure drops off into mostly shadow. In the end, I think it also shows  quite a bit of the influence both artists have had on my own work.

9 comments:

Linda Hensley said...

Nice!

Vickie said...

Wow! I love it. I can certainly see the influence of N.C. Wyeth and Maynard Dixon. They are two of my favorites also. I went to see the Carl Bloch exhibit at BYU but was even more excited when I found Maynard Dixon paintings in the gallery downstairs.

Vickie said...

Well, that's a round about way to find out the Illustration Friday word of the week. I checked out Linda's blog and she mentioned "Influence" also. Then it dawned on me that it might be the IF word. Then checked my email and sure enough. I haven't participated in IF for a while. Maybe you and Linda will influence me to this week.

Unknown said...

Vickie- Do it. I usually have to twist the interpretation of the word to fit something anyway- just get creative.

peg nocciolino said...

Greg, I've never seen this one...its a beauty!

The Art of Kim Kincaid said...

You can see both influences in there but it is most assuredly solid Newbold. Wonderful, Greg.

Curious Art said...

That's a fantastic dual tribute to your influences, & a beautiful painting in itself.

Unknown said...

Thanks everyone. This was a really fun challenge to create something "in the style of" another artist. It makes you desect the how and why of someone's style.

Lucy Autrey Wilson said...

Beautiful work + love how you showed the works that influenced you