Friday, May 28, 2010

Recalculating...

I about cried laughing when I saw this Real Life comic.
SO close to home.

Me with Ron Spears at N.C. Wyeth's studio

Last July, I went on a cross country road trip to Hartford to finish up my MFA. My sidekick (or maybe I was his sidekick since he drove every mile) was good friend and fellow artist Ron Spears. Despite having an Apple iphone maps app, a GPS unit and a dog-eared Rand McNally road atlas, we still managed to get ourselves lost in a corn field in Michigan. In our defense, road construction and a driving rain storm combined to make us miss a turn off and then it was going to be a roundabout way back to get back on the right freeway. The "recaculating..." coming from our talking friend the GPS unit got so annoying that we started giving her nicknames like "Helga". Finally we turned her off, resorting to the iphone to get us back on track. We actually did manage to make it to all of our destinations including a visit to Brandywine, PA and the N.C. Wyeth studio. More about that in a future post, but here we are outside N.C's famed palladian window. I salivate over north light like that. In the meantime, you might want to check out this post by James Gurney about Wyeth's studio.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Classic cross country road trip, with adventure and inspiration around every corner! I can't wait to do another!
Next time we'll leave Helga home.
Let's go!

Unknown said...

Anytime you can go cross country and only get lost once, I say it's pretty good! I'm game for another.