Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Here's the Deal


"Here's the Deal" - acrylic - 19" x 13"

First thumbnail sketch - approx. 2" wide - roller pen

Final Drawing - approx. 4.5" wide - black Prismacolor

During my first session at the University of Hartford Limited Residency MFA-Illustration my assignments included writing and illustrating my own children's book. I spent many a midsummer night the first week creating a thumbnail dummy book version of "Scuffy, A Scarecrow's Tale", a project my wife and I had been writing. The story follows the adventures of our hero Scuffy as he overcomes his fear of just about everything in order to defeat his nemesis the crow. The full dummy book included a refined manuscript and black and white drawings for each spread. I also completed four finished paintings based on these drawings. I am extremely satisfied with the project so far and am in the process of hunting down the right publisher (anyone willing to have a look?). Here is a bit of the process.

5 comments:

k.h.whitaker said...

excellent, love the birds expression

Patti said...

great image. Love the bird.

Hi I'm Laurie... said...

This is super! The bird's face is priceless! lol

INDIGENE said...

Beautiful!

Sarah Melling said...

So much fun! I especially love the developed drawing in black Prismacolor. You've inspired me to try drawing with the black Prismacolor pencil that languishes on my desk...I never use black when I draw in color (for some reason, it never fails to muddy up things, so I prefer a deep, dark blue or violet) and I use graphite when I'm not working in color.I must give it a whirl on its own!