Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Gila Monster

Gila Monster - 11" x 14" Acrylic
by Greg Newbold

I did this painting for a 4th Grade Reading textbook cover. It sailed through all the approvals during the creative process and I was really looking forward to seeing it on the cover of a book. When I got the artwork back some months later, I was informed that it had been shot down by some of the higher up suits. When I asked why, I was told that someone decided that Gila Monsters were "too scary" for fourth graders. Really? I have had several small people living in my house for a few years now and none of them were ever scared by a picture of a lizard trundling through the desert. On the other hand, my boys love this piece, so now it hangs in the hall just outside their bedroom door. Someday, they may have to draw straws to see who gets it. But I got paid, so go figure.

2 comments:

Brandon said...

Greg,

Just got browsing through your blog. Great stuff. I've always been a fan of your work, thanks for sharing.

Unknown said...

yeah! Kids love lizards!