Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Living On The Edge

Painting at Angel's Window - July 2010

I just got back from the North Rim of the Grand Canyon where my wife and I spent a few days on vacation. My dear wife was gracious and indulgent enough to let me paint a couple of times while we were there even though it gets a bit long and boring for her (thanks babe!).

In progress

One morning we went to Cape Royal where there is a great natural rock arch called Angel's Window. I found a nice little spot close to the rim and set up the oil painting rig. The light was not great due to overcast skies, but I gave it a shot. It was obviously not going to be about the result, so I just tried to enjoy the process of painting on location. Many people stopped to look and ask to take photographs. I bet I was the only artist they saw in the park, though I knew that was not the case since I ran into fellow artist Dilleen Marsh painting in the park earlier that morning.

On the Edge - Angel's Window

My wife went out to the window and took a few shots of me painting from across the chasm. I'll show everyone just how far the drop off was tomorrow. Let's just say I was careful every time I stepped back from the easel.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wish I was there with you!
I'm sure your wife would understand.

Unknown said...

Next summer we need about a week in Southern Utah to paint. Start looing at the calendar!

Unknown said...

I mean LOOKING.

Anonymous said...

I've been looing for years!

Unknown said...

Every day even.