Thursday, April 25, 2013

Battle Of Bosworth Sketch - Part 2

Yesterday I posted the drawing for the opening spread of the Battle of Bosworth article I am illustrating. This second spread depicts the aftermath symbolically by showing the fallen King Richard III battle flag and the thrown horseshoe. This solution was my attempt to simplify the original concept proposed by the AD in which it appeared that the entire royal army would be raging into battle. I don't much like what I call "mob scenes" in my illustration work and I had already given a very ambitious view of the battle in the opening sketch, so this quieter resolution was embraced by the art director.  Both of these will be oil on panel. I'll post the finish pieces later.

5 comments:

Mike Blake Studio said...

Interesting way to break up the pacing of the story. Just curious...is that really what a horse-shoe looked like from that time period?

Unknown said...

Mike, I did quite a bit of research and was surprised to find out that medieval horse shoes look surprisingly like modern ones. They had fewer holes for nails, were more roughly made and sometimes thicker or wider, but the principle of construction was the same.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mike Blake Studio said...

I do not doubt you did alot of research, and that is quite fascinating! I love those things you never expect to find, but come across.

Unknown said...

I totally agree Mike. Its fun to discover things and connect them together. I had heard bits and pieces of this story, but to put it all in context and then connect it visually was the fun part for me.