Friday, November 12, 2010

I.F.-Burning

Campfire- by Greg Newbold- 5" x 10", acrylic

The pleasant glow and it's welcoming warmth belie the true peril facing the builder of this fire. In the story that this piece was a part of, the traveler had to remain vigilant all night long, stoking the flames in order to keep the ravenous wolves at bay. Sometimes I feel the same way, only my wolves are other predators such as discouragement, self doubt, fear and failure. The current economy has many in the same precarious position as our traveler, but we can make it through the night. As an artist, one way I find to do this is by finding a personal project that keeps the juices flowing. Whether it's a painting I have been meaning to do, working on writing a picture book, or even a home improvement project. Having something to look forward to keeps me focused on getting through the not so exciting times.  Keep the fire burning!

13 comments:

Micah said...

How bad has it really been for you? How many other fellow illustrators are in the same boat? Is there artist you know that this economic environment hasn't touched?

Unknown said...

Micah, It's been worse than I like to admit. Still afloat, but I think it's affecting everyone. I don't really know of anyone who hasn't seen a dip, but I keep plugging along.

Linda Hensley said...

Words to live by! I share your pain, but yes, we can keep the fire lit through the night. Nice piece!

Juniper said...

I can feel the heat in that fire, and I love the texture of the logs.

Rob Colvin said...

Nice piece Greg! I agree with your hopeful comments. I've learned that as long as I'm proactive, keeping my mind and hands busy, the wolves are distant howls in the night. I've also learned that finding new ways to promote my work is part of that fire.

Unknown said...

Agreed, Rob. That's what am trying to do. Getting work out there and seen by new potential clients while I work on some new stuff. Just gotta keep plugging.

Juan said...

Great work and line work!

Michele Melcher Illustration said...

Nice! Makes me want to be right out in the snow, smelling the bonfire in the crisp winter air. (one of my favorite smells)

Nancy Bea Miller said...

Terrific, as always!

k.h.whitaker said...

your work is always so beautiful

MrBibleHead said...

Wow! Great flame Greg! You really have a great way with color!! Perfect for the topic!! you nailed it!!

Unknown said...

Thanks for the feedback guys!

lucrezia said...

Lovely piece of work!