Friday, November 19, 2010

Pig Detective

P.I. Pig - Acrylic, 9" x 11"

Pigs aren't very smart, but I still think they are about the most lovable of barnyard creatures (Katie insists they are quite smart-see comments). I enjoy drawing and painting them when I get a chance. In my book The Barnyard Night before Christmas, the pig character actually saves the day after a few intense moments of free fall. Here' he is trying to sleuth out a solution to Santa's predicament- how to pull his sleigh when all the reindeer get sick on too much Christmas pudding. The other animal's aren't much help as they sneak up on him and pelt him with snowballs. Poor Piggy.

Christmas Shop Early!
Buy The Barnyard Night Before Christmas here
Dozens of my favorite art books available here

13 comments:

pete said...

FANTASTIC!!!

Unknown said...

that is terrific! Great illustration.

katie said...

I love the picture, but I must take exception to the statement that pigs aren't very smart. They've routinely been proven to be at least as smart, if not smarter than, dogs.

http://www.suite101.com/content/the-intelligent-pig-a84448

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/11/10/science/10angier.html

http://sla-divisions.typepad.com/dbio/2009/11/the-intelligence-of-pigs.html

(there's plenty more, those are just the first decent-looking three that came up on a search. & tried to make the URLs links but Blogger wouldn't let me - sorry.)

Curious Art said...

Being fond of both piggies & magnifying glasses, I love this one! Beautifully done.

Unknown said...

Katie, Thanks for the insights into pig I.Q.. I guess I rank most farm animals as not very smart because the often don't want to go where you want them to go (sheep particularly) Unless you have that smart dog with you. Thanks- I'll amend my post!

Chad Grohman said...

Great Pig!

k.h.whitaker said...

Greg, this is wonderful, I love this guy!

WilsonW said...

Wonderful Piggy Illustration Greg!

Susan Robinson said...

Oh, I just LOVE it!!

Tony LaRocca said...

And with the magnifying glass he can see them come quickly! Great job!

Unknown said...

Thanks for the feedback everyone! Piggy was sure a fun one to work on. Of all the characters in "The Barnyard Night Before Christmas", he is my favorite.

Hannah said...

This is great! What a wonderful character!

Ray Ferguson said...

Beautiful work!