Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Walter Everett

Everett's brilliant shape design is evident in
this black and white scene of nuns and children.
Look at the great value control he achieves
in this street market beggar painting.
Young Walter Everett in studio

Walter Everett-Canoe Scene typical of work
 he did for magazines like  Ladies Home Journal

Everett-Pan Sketch

Final painting for Pan


My real computer is in the shop today, so as I was poking around on my laptop for things to post, I found the work of Walter Everett (1880-19460. I was reintroduced to his work by an instructor at Hartford, Alice "Bunny" Carter as she was giving us all our "geneaology" back to Howard Pyle (I'll share my direct artistic lineage back to Pyle in another post). Everett was a student of Howard Pyle as well and though relatively forgotten today, enjoyed quite a nice career as both an illustrator and instructor at the School of Industrial Arts in Philadelphia. Everett's later work is characterized by a near posterization of shapes and colors, utilizing mostly value and color to define the form. Most of his work was reproduced in black and white,  but as you can see, he was an excellent colorist as well.
Thanks Bunny for access to these images.

See more Walter Everett work in another LNA post here

2 comments:

Angresano said...

Great post on the magnificent artist Walter Everett! Thank you Greg, not alot on this great artistic soul, kinda in a class by himself. Design draughtsmanship COLOR all above average even in the "golden age" of illustration.

Unknown said...

I completely agree. The more I study Golden Age Illustrators, the more I realize how many truly great artists are all but lost to history. I's fun to be exposed and expose others to such wonderful work.