Friday, April 1, 2011

Duet

Duet- 9" x 12"- Acrylic on canvas board

Today's theme on Illustration Friday is Duet. Those who follow this blog may have noticed that I usually try to come up with a clever way to shoehorn one of my pieces to fit the theme, but today was a no brainer. I painted a picture a few years back as a demo for an acrylic workshop which I actually titled "Duet". The workshop was hosted by the Utah Watercolor Society and since I work primarily in a water based medium (though not traditional transparent watercolor), I was asked to teach a three day class. I did two demonstrations during the workshop, one of which dealt with creating a landscape in acrylic. I showed some techniques that I use including glazing with mediums, dry brushing, and even using crackle mediums (evident at the lower left corner). I did not complete the painting during the session but finished it later on. There is a long tradition of using musical terminology to title paintings. When it came time to choose a title, "Duet" seemed appropriate given the two hay bales. I sold the painting a few weeks later to a private collector.

9 comments:

Rebecca Dupree said...

This is beautiful. Very Van Gogh. I love it, and I'm now following your blog.

Karen said...

Terrific :)

Coreopsis said...

Beautiful painting. I love the light, and the golden shagginess of the bales.

Marie Campbell said...

This is amazing - I also love your bio, you've a lot to thank Santa for

MrBibleHead said...

Beautiful Greg! Love the golden sunshine and the shadows. Now if they could only sing :o) They'd probably start of with "HAY Girl"

AtelierBrigitte said...

Beautiful piece!

Sarah Melling said...

Such a gorgeous rendering of a classic scene.

scott sullivan said...

You do really great work.
I hate to sound stupid but here goes.
In the Seagull photoshop image are you using just the brush tool?

Unknown said...

Scott, When I work in Photoshop, I use a combination of scanned sketches to start with and a limited amount of scanned textures at the finish, but everything in between is using the brush tools and manipulating layers and things to get what I want.The finish is pretty much all digital brushwork with almost none of the sketch still showing. It's been a process to learn the program and I am still feeling my way a bit. I am sure there is still tons to learn about what the program can do.